T24 Foreign News
The plan of the European Super League, which will completely change the structure of football leagues, received a reaction from the football government as well as the British government. A video of George Floyd’s assassination, once eagerly awaited by the entire United States, was once played in a courtroom. Prosecutors once again told the jury to “believe your eyes,” and the defense said “the moment the video is frozen, it can be misleading.” Following reports of secret talks between Iran and Saudi Arabia in the Iraqi capital, Baghdad, the Iranian Foreign Ministry said it was open to direct talks with Saudi Arabia.
April 20, 2021These are the headlines that stand out in the world press …
The Guardian | Reaction to the European Super League plan from number 10
The plan of the European Super League, which will completely change the structure of football leagues, also received a reaction from the football administration in addition to the British government. When fans reacted to the plans of 12 teams to form their own leagues, British Culture Minister Oliver Dowden said “everything is necessary” to prevent the plans from being implemented with the support of the government. UEFA, the players of the 12 teams to be included in the plan will not participate in next year’s World Cup, he said. Football Federation President Prince William also voiced the fans’ concerns about the plan and warned the teams. “Today, from top to bottom, we must protect the entire football community and the values of competition and justice,” he said.
Independent | The jury decides in the trial of the police officer who killed Floyd; I have a message from your brother
The latest arguments in the case of police officer Derek Chauvin, who killed a black citizen George Floyd by pressing his knee to the neck in Minneapolis, USA last year, were given. At the end of the incident, which sparked protests against police brutality and racism in the United States, it was a court decision that determined that a police officer would be tried for murder. While George Floyd’s brother, Terrence Floyd, was being tried in a critical case, the police’s finding the culprit was ‘a beacon of hope’.
New York Times | Chauvin’s case went to the jury as he watched the video
Washington Post | The chauvinist jury began the verdict
A video of George Floyd’s assassination, once eagerly awaited by the entire United States, was once played in a courtroom. Prosecutors once told the jury to “believe their eyes,” and the defense said “the moment the video is frozen, it can be misleading.”
After 14 days of testimony by police experts, doctors, members of the Minneapolis Police Department and witnesses in the courtroom, the parties presented their final evidence.
Prosecutors told jurors that police officer Derek Chauvin, who was once again charged with murder, held Floyd’s knee in the middle of a street for 9 minutes and 29 seconds.
Prosecutor Steve Schleicher addressed the jury, proposing the final argument, “What actually happens in this video is the first thing you see when you watch this video. What you feel in your stomach. Heart.”
Defense went 17 minutes before the video began and said Floyd had taken illegal drugs and was opposed to his arrest. Shauvi’s lawyer said the incident was “the result of the situation.”
Tensions escalated in Minneapolis last week after a police officer shot and killed another black man, Downte Wright. Final disputes took place on the 18th floor of the fenced courthouse. According to the decision, large-scale actions are expected in Minneapolis.
As the jury prepared to make its decision, the provincial governor called for calm and said police officers from other provinces would be called in if necessary.
The jury was taken to a hotel where they were kept completely separate from the public to discuss their decisions.
The Moscow Times | The victims of the Belan massacre are on a hunger strike in support of Navalny
In 2004, relatives of those killed and wounded in the Beslan massacre, which killed more than 330 people, including children, during the Second Chechen War began a hunger strike in support of Russian opposition leader Alexei Navalny.
“It all started with Beslan and continues with it. Many people did not see and understand it at that time. Now it is a dangerous regime not only for Russia but for the whole world. They understand that it has been established,” he said. he said.
According to Novaya Gazeta, four people who lost their children in the Beslan massacre, together with Kesayeva, went on a hunger strike in support of Navalny.
“She was arrested and is now finishing her work. Our children were also arrested in 2004. To remain silent is to betray the future of ourselves and our children,” Kesayeva said.
Navalny, who is in prison in Russia, has been on hunger strike in recent weeks, saying he has been prevented from receiving the necessary medical care. This weekend, doctors said Navalny could die at any moment, and on Monday the opposition leader was taken to a special hospital for prisoners.
On September 1, 2004, Chechen separatists took more than 1,100 people hostage at a school, including 777 children. More than 330 people have been killed in clashes since Russian security forces intervened.
Le Monde | French industry lags behind in coronavirus vaccinations
Although France has made progress in the production of coronavirus vaccines developed in other countries, no effective coronavirus vaccine has been released by French biotechnology companies. At the beginning of the pandemic, the vaccine developed by the Sanofi and Pasteur Institute for development failed. The government has taken action to revive drug production in the country. French President Emmanuel Macron has argued that increasing production of coronavirus vaccines in Europe will speed up the country’s vaccination program.
Al Jazeera | Iran says talks with Saudi Arabia are open
Following reports of secret talks between Iran and Saudi Arabia in the Iraqi capital, Baghdad, the Iranian Foreign Ministry said it was open to direct talks with Saudi Arabia. Although a ministry spokesman did not respond to allegations of talks in Baghdad, he said “Iran has always welcomed the talks with Saudi Arabia and argued that it would be beneficial for both countries.” Diplomatic relations between the two countries were not established after the attack on the Saudi embassy in Tehran in 2016.